Fleas are pesky little blighters that live on your pet, biting them and sucking their blood. They move quickly and are pretty tiny so can be hard to spot, but there are some tell-tail signs to look out for…
Some dogs and cats are even allergic to fleas, specifically their saliva. This is known as flea allergy dermatitis (FAD) – these animals will be super itchy and in a lot of discomfort, even with just a couple of fleas. If this sounds like your fur baby, you’ll need to take them to see their vet in case they need some special treatment for their inflamed skin. The best way to manage FAD is by treating your pet regularly with a flea product which has preventative action, such as Imidaflea.
So, if you think your pet might have fleas or just want to do a quick check for peace of mind, looking for flea dirt (yes, flea poo!) is often the best way.
You’ll need a flea comb and some kitchen roll, toilet roll or cotton wool.
If your pet has fleas, don’t panic, it happens – in fact 15% of dogs and nearly 30% of cats do have them1…but it’s time to take action!
Phew, and now you should be able to keep those pesky fleas at bay. Remember – by regularly using a product that prevents fleas, such as Imidaflea, you can protect your pet and home!
Well, this comes down to the flea lifecycle and the fact that only 5% of a flea infestation lives on your pet as adults…. the other 95% is hiding away, lurking in your soft furnishings and carpets (we know, it’s like something out of a horror movie).
Well, the answer is pretty much anywhere – fleas aren’t too fussy! Even indoor pets are at risk as fleas have sneaky ways of finding their way into your home.
Fleas very rarely hop from animal to animal,7 once they’ve found their mobile home, they tend to stay!
Traditionally fleas have been seen as a summer problem, as they reproduce and multiply much quicker in warmer temperatures…in fact flea eggs can’t survive below 13oC, so if outdoors, will die or fail to develop in the winter.3
There is a big BUT here… Our lovely, warm, centrally heated houses have made it possible for fleas to reproduce all year round in the comfort of our homes! Add to this the fact that those pesky pupae can lie dormant for 5 months and you have a recipe for an all year round disaster (imagine the scenario… your pet picks up fleas when out and about in the summer, the unwanted creepy crawlies reproduce, with the eggs and immature stages hiding around your home, lying dormant and waiting – then months later, in the depths of winter – boom – you have fleas again)!
By keeping up flea treatments every 4 weeks, all year round, you can keep your pet and home protected.
Don’t worry applying one of our spot-on flea treatments is as easy as 1,2,3!
Spot-on tips and tricks:
1. Abdullah S, Helps C et al. Pathogens in fleas collected from cats and dogs: distribution and prevalence in the UK. Parasites Vectors (2019) 12: 71.
2. Dryden, M. W. Host association, on-host longevity and egg production of Ctenocephalides felis felis. Veterinary Parasitology34, 117–122 (1989).
3. Silverman, J., Rust, M. K. & Reierson, D. A. Influence of Temperature and Humidity on Survival and Development of the Cat Flea, Ctenocephalides Felis (Siphonaptera: Pulicidae). Journal of Medical Entomology 18, 78–83 (1981).
4. Byron, D. W. Aspects of the Biology, Behavior, Bionomics, and Control of Immature Stages of the Cat Flea Ctenocephalides Felis Felis (Bouché) (Siphonaptera: Pulicidae) in the Domiciliary Environment. (Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, 1987).
5. Dryden, M. W. Biology of Fleas of Dogs and Cats. The Compendium on Continuing Education for the Practicing Veterinarian 15, 569–578 (1993).
6. Krämer, F. & Mencke, N. Flea Biology and Control: The Biology of the Cat Flea, Control and Prevention with Imidacloprid in Small Animals. (Springer, 2001).